[The Seven by Nine Squares home page]
[Art Strike 1990-1993]
Theatre of Sorts
February 7, 1990
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Attention Art-Strikers/Art scabs/Art whatevers:
You are invited to participate in an Anti-Art Performance Festival, Propaganda Bazaar & Exhibition, to be held Saturday, March 31st, at the Artichoke in Cleveland.
This Anti-Art Festival will present non-artistic work by unknown art-strikers of no global and regional significance whatsoever. Here are the guidelines: NO ART!!!
In addition, the festival will adhere to the following underlying principles:
- NO CENSORSHIP
- NO ENTRANCE FEES
- NO PANEL OF DISTINGUISHED JUDGES TO ACCEPT OR REJECT ANYONE'S WORK
- NO STIPENDS FOR ANY PARTICIPANTS-ALL PROCEEDS AFTER EXPENSES WILL GO TO THE NORTHEAST OHIO TASK FORCE ON AIDS
- NO PRE-FESTIVAL COCKTAIL PARTIES WITH MEDIA GAD-FLIES
- NO BORING CRITIQUE SESSIONS
- NO CORPORATE SPONSORSHIP
This art-strike action instigated by:
- Do not send a resume or any documentation of prior work such as photographs, newspaper articles, audio or video tapes, etc. Nobody cares what you've done in the past.
- Do not fill out any application forms. Paper is a precious natural resource. Why waste it on collecting inconsequential details?
- Anyone who would like to perform, need only call (216) 762-5018 by March 15 to reserve a space on the performance agenda. This is only to devise a schedule so that performers will know who's up next. Remember, no one will be turned away!!!
- Art-strikers who wish to display/trade/barter their propaganda no matter what medium (2-dimensional, 3-dimensional, zines, records, tapes, posters, etc.) need only show up that night. No calls are necessary.
Theatre of Sorts, P.O. Box 80083, Akron OH 44308
Read report from Anti-art festival